St. Paul Cathedral was built by the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh in 1906. This imposing French Renaissance Cathedral reflects all of the Gothic traditions that Catholic architecture has followed for centuries. In need of restoration, and in preparation for the Cathedral’s centenary commemoration, BHA designed a complete interior restoration and an addition to the west side of the building. Improvements to lighting and accessibility, air conditioning and a new parish hall were major components of the project. A previous project restored exterior stone and stained glass.
The objective of relighting the Cathedral was to both improve light levels for worshippers and celebrants while illuminating the grand space to highlight its architectural detail. A combination of both uplighting and downlighting was deployed throughout. The addition accommodates a new vestibule, elevator, ADA compliant restrooms and stair to the new parish hall located on the ground floor. This eloquent addition in the French Gothic style matches the architecture of the existing building and allows barrier-free access from the exterior and within the Cathedral.
BHA also designed the new parish hall which includes a hall capable of seating 400 for dining functions, two classrooms, a new kitchen to service the parish community, cloakroom and other necessary requirements for meeting space.