The historic sanctuary of Rodef Shalom Temple located at the corner of 5th and Morewood Avenues in Pittsburgh’s Oakland neighborhood was recently renovated by JJ Morris & Sons, Inc. (General Contractor) and AJ Vater & Co. (Painter and Architectural Conservator) under the direction and supervision of BHA. The impressive interior of the sanctuary was designed by architect Henry Hornbostel well known in Pittsburgh for his campus planning and buildings at nearby Carnegie Mellon University, the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and the City-County Building downtown. Rodef Shalom Temple was completed in 1907 and the sanctuary was in need of restoration after water intrusion caused damage to the ceiling and panels of historic artistic painting.
BHA prepared construction plans and specifications for invited contractors to bid. Areas where plaster repair was required where surveyed by BHA and identified on the drawings while the design team worked with an architectural conservator to address repair and conservation of the interior artworks. The entire interior ceiling surface was repainted. The project team delivered the complete project ahead of schedule and on budget.