BHA provided full design and construction administration services for the $22 million Paterno/Pattee Library Complex at Penn State University. The Paterno Library is a five story, 132,000 sq. ft. addition to the existing Pattee Library, which received extensive renovation and restoration as a part of the work. The Pattee Library was built in the 1930’s and a stack building was added in 1949, while the west wing (1962), and the East Wing (1973) came later. The program addressed certain structural, mechanical and electrical deficiencies in the existing building.
The renovation/addition also included a complete reorganization of visitor circulation, installation of modern computerized facilities throughout, establishment of a 24-hour library and use of a “library within a library” concept for development of the various floors. Major reading rooms, stack areas, offices and similar facilities were upgraded and improved. New lobby entrances were added, both from the historic mall in front of the building and from the heavily traveled Curtin Road. The University’s budget was $23 million, and bids were received $1 million under the University’s budget.